Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Raindrops on Roses

It's a blue day. So I tried going to the studio to drown myself in loud music and creativity. Leaving the half-finished projects undone, I decided to go straight for the idea that has been in my head for awhile. I bought this pretty tin tray at Goodwill...I think it was even half off...with no particular project in mind. Today I finally cut into it! I cut out a few squares with my shiny new tin snips. Sanded most of the roughness off the edges. Bled a little (good for you) and started to play around with different felt colors and ideas. Absolutely nothing is settled yet, but I am excited to see what is taking shape! I knew the tray was familiar, but I didn't realize just how closely the pattern is to one of my favorite things. When I was about 12 years old, a friend gave me a tiny tea cup and saucer for my birthday. I loved it. (Thank you Anna!) I was able to find one more at the same antique shop and searched ebay for years till I found a few more.When my boys first started school, we would have "tea parties"
when they came home, so they could
tell me about their days. We would share super-sweet
raspberry tea and cookies while we used our tiny tea cups. They loved it! It was very civilized and grown up and they were so careful with the tea cups.
Look how well my new tin necklace parts match the china pattern!! I do hope I will be able to get more than one necklace out of this tray, or it is going to be awfully hard to sell it...

1 comment:

kcookski1 said...

Awwww - tea parties! That is cute. I love that boys went along with that. The tray is darling. I want to see the finished project!